Saturday, March 1, 2008

The First of Many

So obviously I am in South Africa now and I have one word...amazing!! This is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been to. The people are the best part of this experience. I love my PCT friends and I love my community. I have a host mom, Francina (38), three host sisters, Miashibe (20), Lizbeth (15), Mailous (8), and two host brothers, Komotcho (15), and Surprise (8)...yes folks...that is his name. They are wonderful. They do not speak much English, well Miashibe speaks a good amount, so verbal communication is not easy.. but we find other ways. I am uploading photos to my picture page so just click on the "Christi's Photos" link on the right hand side of my blog and you will be able to see what I have been up to. I do not have too much time left here at the internet cafe so I am really rushing to write this. I do not even know where to begin because these past thirty days have dramatically changed the way I view life and myself.
In the past 30 days, I have milked a cow, chased a rooster, took 150 photos, talked to kids in a language that I do not understand, took various walks around my community and greeted just about everyone I came into contact with. I am living a Sepedi speaking area but I am learning Zulu so I communicate mostly in greetings and other small phrases with my community. However, next month I will be moving to KZN and will be speaking Zulu and English. I live in a rural village/town called Motong, which is a part of Bakenburg. My fellow PCTs and I are the only white people in the village so we get a ton of stares, excited waves, greetings, and a million kids that follow us home just because they want to play with us. I am having a blast. I am sorry if I can only get a few pics up because this picture uploading is taking ten million years.
I am trying to read all of the e-mails I am receiving and I wish I could respond to them, but this blogging thing is making more sense now because this is only my first internet cafe trip. I promise I will try to write more next week. I just wanted all of you to know that I am alive and well and that is you have any questions please call Nida or my family because they are receiving letters from me that explain my experiences more in depth. I miss and love you all!!!

Until later..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i can just picture you milking cows and chasing roosters and waging an all out war on bugs....:). you are my hero

Unknown said...

the link works.........=0)

Michele Bowers said...

Wow thank you for keeping us updated. We are so proud and impressed with you! All the new things you are learning and doing is wonderful. Stay safe and we love you very much.
David, Michele, & Caleb

Pam, Craig, Craigy Gallagher said...

What an incredible beginning!!! So, so nice to read your words - helps us feel closer to you and it is a HUGE relief to know you are safe. Like Nida,(Hi Nida!) we can just picture you with the livestock---grin---and I can only imagine what it must be like for the children running up to you just to get a closer look at your whiteness and blonde hair...! Keep posting when you can---we understand how busy you are, but LOVE hearing how things are going!!

XOXOXO!