Monday, November 10, 2008

Change

November 5th was probably, without exaggeration, one of the greatest days of my entire life. I am writing this at school since nearly all of the kids have left. The main water pipe for Vryheid burst last Thursday and the water has been off since then in most places in town. My house recently got water back, but unfortunately it is undrinkable because of the tiny red worms that were enjoying a nice swim in our water supply. However, the water at school is still off and obviously this is a problem. My school is fairly modern in that we have 10 flush toilets for 342 children, many with bowel control problems even on a good day. However, when the water is not working, this means the toilets won’t either. So, I will leave it up to your imagination as to what happens when you have 342 mentally disabled children who have to use the toilets and are told that they cannot because the toilets are already full to the brim…I’ll let you meditate on that one for a minute. Okay…done now? Good. Well, you can envision the sights and smells that this school is now going through due to the lack of any water whatsoever. Therefore, the children do not have to come to school tomorrow and Friday, thought the staff will. I believe my kidneys may shut down soon because I think they cannot take this lack of ablutions availability even though I am greatly restricting liquid intake. Yet, even the incredible inconveniences of going thirsty in bloody hot Africa and not being able to use the restroom for 7 hours a day, could not possibly bring me off of this incredible natural high.

OBAMA WON!!!!! And somehow this makes the world suddenly and profoundly a different place. No matter how many little red worms come out of my tap and no matter how ungodly hot it will get today, this day cannot be a bad day. My faith in humanity has been almost entirely restored and I can honestly say that for the first time in a long time, I am proud to be an American and not afraid to show it. The fact that so many Americans saw the obvious need for change in decided to vote in favor of giving this world another shot seems pretty phenomenal and incredibly invigorating after these past eight years have been less than fabulous for America. So thank you Jesus…you let my people go!

Now after that brief tribute to the day of great happiness, we pan back to life here in Africa. Things are going well with my project and I am fairly happy with what I am doing. The school term is ending next week for the learners and two weeks after that for us educators. I brought my classroom for eik to chic in less by painting all of the walls and also am in the midst of finishing painting the world map mural on the back wall of the room. With just a few furniture additions and a bit of paint, the room transformed and my students are constantly talking about it. Healthwise, I am doing fairly well, but I am 98% sure that I have an intestional worm. How I came to believe this, I am not going to share with the world wide web community, but I will say it has been less than pleasant. No worries though, I am deworming myself today with just two simple pills, loads of Powerade, and prayers that I will not choose to quit the Peace Corps if I actually see the worm(s). Oh the joys of living and eating in a developing country.

On a less incredibly disgusting note, I helped with registration at the Itala Challenge this weekend and received my awesome t-shirt. The Itala Challenge is the highest rated kayak race in Africa and people from all over the world come to battle the river and each other in a race to the finish. I went down the same river six months ago, but it was not nearly as far or even in the same rapids as these guys and gals attempted on Saturday. It was an intense race and 20 of the 250 paddlers had to be pulled out of the river and were not allowed to finish due to the complete and utter destruction of their boats on the rocks of the good ole Pongola River. We stayed in chalets in the game reserve and also on the river after the race, so we were able to shower and sleep indoors which was much better than the other option of sharing two showers with all 500 people involved in the race at the camping site.

Today I am going to sew more pencil bags for my students. My learners should be coming to class tomorrow, at least some of them, and they will learn fabric painting which will be translated into final products of uniquely painted pencil bags. We will sell these bags at the end of November at a local craft fair. I am fairly sure that the bags will sell well because the shopping bags that my last class painted sold out in the first three hours at the last craft fair. However, we bought those bags and just sewed on the extra painted pockets. This time I want to use some of the tons of donated fabric that I was given to make the bags rather than buy them because I would rather use the donations than drain my VAST grant money so soon. Therefore, I have had to teach myself how to sew on a machine. It was not going so well for a while there, but now things are better and I am on a roll….five bags made…fifteen more to go. My learners also made over 25 wine glass marker sets, many of which I am going to bring to the States over Christmas to see if there are any potential buyers…they cost two dollars people, I think you should consider digging deep and buying a set. Thanks! I am also going to put together a website for my school next week since we do not have one and this obviously does not help donors and other interested people in obtaining info about the school. Also…I would like to toot my own horn for a second here…I made pizza entirely from scratch last night. I handmade the dough, made my own sauce mixture of chakalaka and tomatoe sauce, shredded my own cheese, cut the pinapples and green peppers, and put baked that bad boy to perfection in the somewhat defective oven. This is the second time I have made this delicious delicacy and I must say that both pizzas were absolutely scrumptious. If you know me at all, then you must know that I am by no means an excellent chef; so while this feat might seem small to you, it was quite an accomplishment to me with my meager means and insufficient cooking skills. So toot toot…go me!

Well folks, I do have sewing to do…as incredibly and regrettably domesticated as that may sound…I need to get back to work. I have uploaded some pics with more to come soon..check em' out. Until next time…

No comments: