Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Uhambo

Uhambo means "journey" in Zulu, and that is exactly what I am about to embark on in 3 days, 21 hours, and 48 minutes. I leave for Philly on Sunday at 9:25 a.m. and arrive around 10:30. Hopefully, I will be able to get a quick shuttle to the hotel so that I can have a few hours to myself to see the city before PC registration starts at two. After that it will be a day and a half of training before we get our vaccinations and are off to SA from NYC. We get to stop over in Frankfurt for twelve hours so hopefully I will get the chance to see some of Germany with my soon-to-be Peace Corps friends. 

Many of my friends and family members have been asking me how I have been feeling since the date is so close. My honest answer is that I really have no one word or sentence to describe exactly how it feels to be leaving everything that feels safe and everyone that I know and love to pursue a dream for two years and some change. I feel excited, anxious, happy, sad, impatient, calm, at peace, tormented, but mostly just hopeful. I have been waiting for almost a year now to actually be able to step foot on a plane and step out of my present life and into other circumstances. I am thankful for this opportunity because I know I am so blessed to be able to do this. However, that does not make it much easier to leave those that I love the most.  I have been saying a lot of "see you laters" to people these past few weeks and will continue that for a few more days before actually leaving. As hard as it will be to be away from my family and close friends, I am welcoming the challenges that I will face soon. There is much to do before I go, so I should cut this short.  

I better get back to wrestling with my suitcases. I am about to have to throw down WWF style on my bags to make all my junk fit. Hopefully I will come out on top, but I don't underestimate my suitcase...it is a worthy adversary.If you have the time, send a prayer up to the big man for me for a miracle to happen that my bags will magically expand to fit all of my stuff...no worries...que sera, sera. 

"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This made me think of you..."In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself within a dark wood where the straight way was lost."
Dante Alighieri
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."
Rumi.